Green Card for Parents of US Citizens

Immigration Services - U-Visa

Green Card for Parents of US Citizens

Obtaining green cards for parents is an important and rewarding process that allows adult citizens of the United States to obtain lawful permanent residence status for their parents in order to enable them to live permanently in the U.S. This guide provides a step-by-step overview of the process to help you navigate the requirements and procedures involved in getting green cards for parents.

Green Cards for Parents "How -to" Guide

Confirm Eligibility
Ensure that you meet the following criteria to sponsor your parents:

*You must be a US citizen and at least 21 years old.
*Your parents must qualify as immediate relatives. They will have no numerical limits for green card availability.

Understand the Process
Familiarize yourself with the overall process of sponsoring your parents for green cards:

* File an immigrant visa petition (Form I-130) on behalf of your parents.
* Once the petition is approved, the National Visa Center (NVC) will handle the documentation and fee processing.
* Your parents will go through consular processing if they are outside the United States or apply for adjustment of status if they are already in the US.

Gather Required Documents
Collect the necessary documents to support your petition:

* Your birth certificate or proof of US citizenship.

* Your parents’ birth certificates or other proof of relationship.

* Marriage certificates and divorce decrees (if applicable).

* Evidence of financial ability to support your parents.

File Form I-130
Complete and file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, along with the required supporting documents:

* Pay the filing fee and submit the application to the appropriate USCIS office.

* Ensure accurate completion of the form and include all necessary documents to avoid delays.